Friday, February 4, 2011

Healthy Breakfast to Make Ahead and Freeze

One of my goals for the new year was to eat as "clean" as possible, and to rid my diet of  "white stuff".  So far, I've been doing well with this goal.  I've switched to using only Whole Wheat Flour.  I've had some failures.... pizza crust......but I'll be working on that one.  
However, this recipe has been a success!



Whole Wheat Pancakes
2 c whole wheat flour
2T honey or agave nectar
1T baking powder
1 egg
1 1/2 c milk
3 T butter, melted
2/3 c pureed fruit
1/2 t vanilla 

Mix all wet ingredients in one bowl.  Mix all dry ingredients in another bowl.  Combine both until just mixed.

Spray griddle or non stick skillet with cooking spray.  Laddle the batter onto griddle to make about 3-4 inch pancake.  Cook until solid on one side and flip.  Cook until done.

I've been using canned pumpkin for the pureed fruit and throw in a handful of semi-sweet chocolate chips before cooking.    When I make these, I double the recipe, freeze the cooked pancakes on a cookie sheet to freeze individually and then package them up in freezer bags.  When ready to eat, take out as many as you would like and heat in microwave for about one minute.

Another delicious variation is banana walnut!  

I love having a healthful breakfast readily available! 
 Elizabeth likes it with honey and syrup.... Daniel and I just prefer the syrup.

There are endless ways to make this recipe your own.  Play with it and let me know what you come up with!


3 comments:

  1. That looks so good! I like to reheat my pancakes in the toaster. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds yummy... Wonder what it would taste like with some cinnamon and nutmeg in there???

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe like pumpkin pie?? Sounds good Kristina!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!

 
3 Column Dark Minima Template by GlamourBomb

Back to TOP