Wednesday, September 8, 2010

My Other Brother David

I have one brother David that I have known all my life.  My other brother, David, is actually my brother-in-law.... Daniel's brother.

This past weekend, we went to Knoxville to visit my husband's family.  Every couple months we visit, but this weekend was different.  It was one that we have prayed for and dreamed about for a long time.  It was the first weekend that David was out of prison.  It was the first time I had ever laid eyes on him outside of prison walls.  For the past 13 years, David has been serving time some bad choices that he made when he was just barely an adult.  For those of you who don't know the story, you can listen to it HERE (This is David Skidmore, youth minister at North Boulevard Church of Christ, speaking).

I have only been around the story for about 5 1/2 years, when Daniel and I met.  Since then, we have been having conversations imagining what it will be like when David gets out.  I don't think anything could have prepared us for this weekend.  We were so happy to have him with us.  We were able to go shopping, out to eat, and to church as a family.

I am so thankful to be a part of this family.  I've seen what it looks like to have a stronger faith in God when other's would lose faith.  I've seen forgiveness.  I've seen unconditional love.  I've seen acceptance.  I've seen hope.  I now know what it looks like to not give up on a child.

I'm just so glad that we can all be together!  Most of all I can't wait to see what God has in store for David!

We were even able to take some family pictures!

It's so weird to see him in regular clothes!
David on left.  Daniel on right.

David with Elizabeth

Mark and Betty with their two boys that they are so proud of!

4 comments:

  1. I am so happy for you guys and I can't get over how much they look alike!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Erin you are such a blessing to my parents and my brother. I'm so glad that you chose to be a Jones. I can't imagine my life without you.

    The Jones family is so thankful that you are a part of the family. You have added so much to this family. God knew EXACTLY what He was doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Erin, thanks for sharing David's story. I was very touched. You have a wonderful family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had never heard the whole story. Thanks for sharing! We are so happy for your family. I'm hoping to meet David for the first time this weekend - after 8 years of hearing the Parnells talk about him!

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!

 
3 Column Dark Minima Template by GlamourBomb

Back to TOP