Thursday, March 25, 2010

Cookies + Canvas= Lots of fun!

Tuesday night our church hosted a "Cookies & Canvas" night.  I had signed up to bring a sweet treat.  Since this was the first time I've brought a dish to an event at church (we've recently placed membership at a different church), so I wanted to be sure my treat was really yummy!  Silly isn't it?  Anyway, Monday, I was flipping through my new issue of Better Homes and Garden magazine and I found the perfect recipe... feminine, yet sophisticated.

Rosemary-Kissed Orange Thumbprint Cookies!

Here is the recipe....

1 c all purpose flour
1/2 c cornstarch
1 t snipped fresh rosemary
1/4 t salt
3/4 c butter, softened
1/3 c powdered sugar
Few drops of almond extract
1/4 c orange marmalade
powdered sugar for finishing touch

1.  In small bowl stir together flour, cornstarch, rosemary and salt.  Set aside. 
2.  In medium mixing bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on med-high for 30 seconds.  Add 1/3 c powdered sugar and a few drops of almond extract.  Add flour mixture and beat until combined. 
3.  Wrap and chill dough 1 hour or until easy to handle.
4.  Preheat oven to 325.
5.  Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside.
6.  Shape dough into 24 1" balls.  Arrange 2" apart of baking sheets. 
7.  Use thumb to make indentions.
8.  Spoon 1/2 t of marmalade onto each cookie.
9.  Bake 14 minutes or until edges are lightly golden.
10.  Cool 1 minute on cookie sheets.  Remove and cool on wire racks. Sprinkle with additional powedered sugar to serve.

Yield: 24 cookies

Well, if you're wondering, they went over really well.  A friend of mine was telling me that I impressed the churches "resident cook"... an older lady that is a fabulous cook...  I felt so proud! 

Oh, and here is my painting! 
Now, let me tell you, I'm no artist!!!!  We had an awesome instructor who taught us some basic techniques as she went through the steps.  She let us use whatever colors we wanted.  I tried my best to match our living/ den area.  I think it will look perfect!  Now I just need to frame it.



8 comments:

  1. I was scrolling past your cookies to get to the canvas, but the marmalade photo made me go back and look again! Yummy! I think your canvas looks wonderful. I wish I could do that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm impressed with your painting, Erin! Your cookies look great too! Where are you going to church now? We need to get together sometime.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Adoring HusbandMarch 25, 2010 at 6:30 PM

    Those cookies were super good and I did feel so "proper" when I was eating them. I'm proud of your painting as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You amaze me - you are oozing with talent!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those cookies look so yummy! AND your painting turned out FABULOUS! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erin...great art!! Love the colors and the movement in the flowers...very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Those look yummy! The painting is gorgeous as well! wow! (yes, my rug is PB) too funny you recognized it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! The cookies look so good! :-) AWESOME job on the canvas too! LOVE this idea!! :-)

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!

 
3 Column Dark Minima Template by GlamourBomb

Back to TOP