Thursday, March 18, 2010

Old Coffee Filter + Burlap = Great Wreath!

UPDATE: I've been corrected... it's actually an old veggie steamer!  I guess this shows that I'm not a coffee drinker! :)  Thanks girls!

Back a few weeks ago I found this old coffee filter (at least that's what I think it is) at Goodwill for $1.49.

I loved how rustic it looked and I figured I could do something with it.  Yesterday, a piece of burlap just happened to be laying next to it and I knew they would be a match made in heaven. 

The picture above shows it in it's opened state.  It also would close up with just the slightest movement, so I needed to find a way to secure it open so I cold turn it into a base for a wreath.  I chose floral wire because it is thin and easy to work with.  Once it was secure, I basted a strip of burlap in order to make a ruffle for the center of the wreath. 
For the florettes around the center, I cut circles out of burlap and two coordinating fabrics.  To make them look worn I dampened them and wadded them up.  Got the handly glue gun out and went to town.  I love vintage buttons and have a large tin of them that my mom gave me.  I chose several that I thought would coordinate and glued them in the center of the florettes.

There you have it!  An inexpensive wreath made from an old coffee filter.  Who would have thought?... certainly not me.


Here is a close up of the center.....

Another close up.....

Now to paint my front door.... I'm thinking chocolate brown. 

Linking to:
2nd Time Around Tuesday @ A Picture is Worth A 1,000 Words


giveaways



 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/




 

The Girl Creative

31 comments:

  1. Very cute and so creative! You are very talented to be able to turn "junk" into something pretty! I think that's an old veggie steamer not a coffee filter. My grandmother had one like that.
    :)
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually a steamer, plop it in a pot with some water and steam veggies in it. But love what you did with it, never would have thought of that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for clearing that up Kat and Holly! I guess I need to change the title or maybe I'll just leave it for laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cool! I love how it turned out!

    I would not have known what it was either! : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Erin...pretty creative wreath!! I am from Chattanooga...so not too far from ya!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is totally awesome! I'm featuring it at somedaycrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Excellent idea. And to think I've thrown veggie steamers away when they get rusty.
    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is amazing and incredibly beautiful too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, I see you've been corrected...I used to use Veggie Steamer just like it. I like what you did with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love it! It's fantastic!
    ~Rebekah

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oi,
    Brilhante, espetacular!
    Amei! Beijos

    ReplyDelete
  12. Yep, I had a veggie steamer just like that. Way to repurpose!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cute. I love burlap! I have one of those steamers in my cabinet--now I know I have another use for it. ;) I'm visiting from Rhoda's Thrifty Treasures party. I hope you'll stop by my blog. :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Super cute! I love to shop at the Goodwill when we visit Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  15. You are so creative!! It amazes me how people can take an old something and visualize it to something wonderful. You made it happen girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. LoVe, LoVe, LoVe this!! I featured this @ www.thecreativecrate.blogspot.com

    Thanks so much for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. this has to be the cutest wreath EVERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! I JUST LOVE IT! how stinken clever are you... WAY TO GO! JGG

    ReplyDelete
  18. That wreath is so cute. How clever you are.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a brilliant idea! I remember playing with my mom's just like it when I was little!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Jenn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very cute! It looks like a coffee filter to me too! LOL

    Jody

    ReplyDelete
  21. Amazing! Great job. Way to think outside the box. I featured you here:
    http://doehlerdays.blogspot.com/2010/03/amazing-wreath-transformation.html


    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Clever idea. Such a fun and pretty creation!

    Cheers!
    Tina

    ReplyDelete
  23. I am seriously in awe here! I featured this idea on my blog today. Here's the link: http://oopsey-daisy.blogspot.com/2010/03/wednesdays-wowzers-searching-new-blogs.html

    Thanks for the fabulous idea!

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  24. OMGosh...this is so stinkin cute...you had a very neat idea! Happy that you came to my PAR-TAY:)

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!! That looks great, what a good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  26. So stinkin cute! I love the way it looks.
    My mom used to have one of those things in the kitchen when I was a little girl. I remember spending hours opening and closing it! Haha

    Courtney@ frog2fab.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  27. Chocolate brown is perfect for a homey door. It will bring out the best of the other design and decoration of the place.

    ReplyDelete

I LOVE comments!

 
3 Column Dark Minima Template by GlamourBomb

Back to TOP